My theme while teaching 1st grade was ladybugs and frogs. I bought this ceiling tile at a training a few years ago. It was originally baseballs and I asked the lady to change them to ladybugs. I then added the letters for my name and the wooded ladybugs in the corners. To go with my new Polka Dots theme, I simply painted it white (after taking off the ladybugs and letters), and then added dots I found at Hobby Lobby. They came in packs of 16 for $2.99 (they were labeled "Candy Labels" and were in the birthday party section). The letters were also from Hobby Lobby (LOVE that store! I can spend HOURS in there!) and were in a pack with two different styles of font for $6.99. I had the little flowers left over from another craft project (can't remember where I got them) so I added them in because they were cute and the colors worked.
I saw something similar on Pinterest and got this idea (I'll try to find the source and link back to it to give credit--I'm new to all this, so work with me here!). It's a flat canvas panel that I painted purple and then added dots and ribbon border with dots. I am going to paint some clothes pins for the students to use when they need to go to the bathroom. Blue ones for boys, pink ones for girls. They will have my name on them and a number (based on the number of stalls in the bathroom) in case they get dropped or lost, so they can be returned to me.
Update (7/4/12): Here is a picture of the Bathroom Passes with the clothespins attached. I made extra pins for any that get lost or misplaced (or nasty--it is the bathroom, after all). I won't put all the pins on there to start with. I'll just put the same number of pins on the board as there are stalls in each bathroom. The pink are for girls and the blue for boys. They have my name on them, front and back. And polka dots, of course! :)
I think this one is my favorite. And it definitely took the longest to make! I bought the cart at our local Christian Mission for $10 and I looked up (again, on Pinterest--I'll check for the source later) ways I could decorate it. I ended up finding two adorable wrapping paper rolls at Hobby Lobby and used Mod Podge to glue them down. It took a lot of eyeballing, measuring, cutting, gluing, re-cutting, patching, etc., but I LOVED how it turned out! So so cute!!! I've got another cart similar to this one at school that I am going to bring home and do the same thing to.
It's late, I am tired, but I am so happy with how they all turned out! Believe it or not, I am not all that crafty or creative, so when something turns out, I am ecstatic about it! But now it's time to turn in. I have another 8:30-3:00 training tomorrow!